Faculty and Staff
R. Clinton Webb
|Title:||Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Director, Cardiovascular Translational Research Center
|Department:||Cell Biology and Anatom
College of Engineering and Computing
School of Medicine
6311 Garners Ferry Road
Bldg 3, Rm 250
Columbia, SC 29209
Experience and Education
- Professor, Biomedical Engineerin, 2021-Present
- Professor and Chairperson, Department of Physiology Augusta University, 1999-2020
- Professor (Assistant to Full), University of Michigan, 1979-99
- Research Associate, Universitaire Instelling Antwerpen, 1978-79
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Michigan, 1976-78
- University of Iowa, Ph.D. (Anatomy), 1973-76
- Southern Illinois University, M.S. (Physiology), 1971-73
- Southern Illinois University, B.A. (Physiology), 1967-71
The physiology of smooth muscle, with particular emphasis placed on: 1) vascular reactivity in hypertension and diabetes, 2) penile and clitoral erection in sexual dysfunction, 3) mechanisms of bladder dysfunction in diabetes, 4) cellular and subcellular mechanisms of contraction and relaxation of vascular smooth muscle (cell signaling, electrogenic sodium pump, subcellular calcium distribution, monovalent cation movements, nitric oxide, RhoA/Rho kinase, etc.), 5) adrenergic neurotransmission in blood vessels, and 6) intercellular communication between smooth muscle cells.
- Wenceslau CF, McCarthy CG, Earley S, England SK, Filosa JA, Goulopoulou S, Gutterman DD, Isakson BE, Kanagy NL, Martinez-Lemus LA, Sonkusare SK, Thakore P, Trask AJ, Watts SW and Webb RC. Guidelines for the measurement of vascular function and structure in isolated arteries and veins. Am J Physiol 321:H77-H111, 2021.
- Cicalese SM, Fernandes da Silva J, Priviero F, Webb RC, Eguchi S and Tostes RC. Vascular stress signaling in hypertension. Circ Res 128:969-992, 2021.
- Justina VD. Giachini FR, Priviero F and Webb RC. Double-stranded RNA and Toll-like receptor activation: A novel mechanism contributing to blood pressure regulation. Clin Sci 134:303-313, 2020.
- McCarthy CG, Goulopoulou S and Webb RC. Paying the toll for inflammation: Immunoreceptor-mediated vascular dysfunction in hypertension. Hypertension 73:514-521, 2019.
- Goulopoulou S, McCarthy CG and Webb RC. Toll-like receptors in the vascular system: Sensing the dangers within. Pharmacol Rev 30:34-40, 2016.
- Cardiovascular physiology and pharmacology (graduate, medical and dental schools)
- Male and female sexual function and dysfunction (graduate and medical schools)
Awards and Honors
- Recipient, Bodil M. Schmidt-Nielsen Distinguished Mentor and Scientist Award, Women in Physiology Committee, American Physiological Society, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2004.
- Irvine Page and Alva Bradley Lifetime Achievement Award, Council for High Blood Pressure Research, American Heart Association, 2013.
- Inaugural Sibley Hoobler Lecture, Frankel Cardiovascular Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, September 8, 2017.
- Excellence Award for Hypertension Research, Council on Hypertension, American Heart Association, 2018.
- Sterling Professor, 46th Pharmacology Colloquium, Michigan State University, University of Michigan, University of Toledo and Wayne State University, Toledo, Ohio, June 21, 2019.